Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hours Fresh, Filleted and Delivered to Our Door

It doesn't happen often enough. But the last few nights have been a boon. It's late evening and there's a simple knock on the front door. The few seconds it takes to get to the door are filled with unbearable anticipation. I can hardly wait to answer. A plethora of scenarios jumbles up my mind and I hope beyond reason that someone is bringing good news.
The best news is undeniably when one of the spearfishing neighbors scores a big one and wants to share. Two days ago, Juan & Rory proudly surprised us with three 1 1/2 inch thick white sea bass fillets. "It was a 20 pounder!" he boasted. There must have been a competition, because last night Phil & Juan brought us two more! Still in their wetsuits, Phil's eyes wide with unabashed pride said "Juan got his last night and I got mine tonight!" I love these guys. It's a friendly neighborhood, and I like to encourage this behavior. So, on the first night, I gave the guys some spicy seafood stew and the last of our cold Coronas. Last night, I had just finished icing a carrot cake. I think they preferred the beer and stew.
The Sea Bass Provencal I made the following night was exquisite!

No comments: