Friday, May 23, 2008

No More Schlepping - almost...

Bringing anything here to the island requires a degree in logistics, enrollment in an ongoing strength training program, and the patience of Job. After living with this arrangement for several years, I grew accustomed to the routine of loading the car, repackaging and reloading goods onto the boat for a 24 mile crossing across the San Pedro Channel; then unloading the boat to reload the car, and finally schlepping the salt-sprayed bins, bags and boxes up the last few steps to the house. Yeah...pain in the patootie.

The first step to my liberation was discovering (Thank you Sweet Tooth Haven) , a farm to door delivery service, Beachgreens! Of course they don't deliver to the island, but almost. They drop off my fresh fruit and vegetables at our San Pedro boat terminal on Thursday, and the wonderful folks at SCMI make sure it gets on Friday morning's supply run to the island. I feel like I'm cheating somehow when the bin 'magically' appears on Friday morning. It feels good - like finding a winning horse racing ticket. And even though they let you know what goodies will be delivered a few days before the produce arrives, I don't peak at the flyer. This way I can open the bin and be surprised.
Amazon's Subscribe & Save program brought me closer to salvation. At first glance, it didn't look like that great of a deal. I'm not used to buying so many items in bulk and the cost seemed a bit much. But wait! Free shipping AND a 15% discount! It was more than a little embarrassing when the UPS truck unloaded about 20 boxes into our small administration foyer. Believe me - I got over it quick. What makes me feel doubly good about all this, is that I've reduced our carbon footprint in so many ways, and on a more intimate level, I'm feeling so deliciously pampered!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little jealous of your Beachgreens delivery. I'm out of their area.